Phases of Treatment
- Initial Evaluation and Consultation: During your initial consultation with the physician or nurse practitioner, your legs will be examined and the extent of your varicose veins will be assessed. If necessary, an ultrasound exam may be recommended to determine which veins are responsible for your symptoms. If you have only the smaller spider veins, you may still need an ultrasound to rule out larger vein involvement. You may be prescribed medical grade compression stockings of 20-30mmHg as a form of conservative treatment to address any current symptoms. Approx. 30-45 minutes.
- Venous Ultrasound: During this in-depth ultrasound, the sonographer will examine and map out the veins in your legs, noting any abnormal or diseased veins. This exam will take approximately 45 minutes per leg to complete. Having a complete venous ultrasound is an important step in determining the cause of your varicose veins and will assist your physician in recommendations for care. Your insurance company will require this report for authorization of any further treatment. After the ultrasound, you will meet with your physician to discuss the results and treatment options. Approx. 45 minutes (per leg) in addition to 30 to 45 minutes with the physician.
- Pre-Procedure Appointment: If your varicose veins and symptoms do not respond to conservative therapy, we will submit for pre-authorization to your insurance for the recommended treatment(s). Once approved, you will be scheduled to see our nurse practitioner for a pre-procedure appointment. During this visit, the treatment(s) will be discussed in detail, including risks and benefits of each recommended procedure. Pre and post procedure instructions will be provided, including prescriptions for medications you will need for the treatment(s). Approx. 45 minutes.
- Treatment: The physician and medical assistant will make sure you are comfortable throughout the procedure. One of the medications we prescribe makes you unable to drive for that day. You will need a driver to take you to and from the office. After the treatment(s), you and your driver will need to walk for 20 minutes after the procedure. We only treat one leg at a time due to safety reasons. We can schedule the next leg at 1-4 weeks apart. Approx. 2 to 3 hours.
- Post Procedure Ultrasound: Approximately a week after the treatments, we will perform an ultrasound to ensure the vein(s) we treated have closed and address any concerns. Approx. 30-45 minutes.
- Follow-Up Appointment Your follow-up visit will be scheduled 6 weeks after the last treatment for one or both legs. At this visit, you will again meet with the physician and discuss in further detail about the cosmetic treatment of spider veins with the use of sclerotherapy, if needed. Approx. 30 minutes.